Hew%20Tyler
Quantcast Your Face Gives Me the Diarrhea: This one goes out to sweet baby Jared who worked hard on the MCAT today
My Photo
Name:
Location: Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Stop reading this.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

This one goes out to sweet baby Jared who worked hard on the MCAT today

I'm not really sure why I did it. I haven't been in shape to do run like that in almost a year, I had only once ran a distance of this magnitude...but it came to me while I was running. Jared asked me to think about him while he was taking the MCAT. So I decided I would run and think about Jared striving for the goal. I decided that for every mile I ran, Jared would get two points on the MCAT. The run began at 4:40AM and lasted till 7:15AM...and truly was a "labor of love." Whatever...I was freaking dying. I have only once run mileage this far all at the same time. When I was 17 I ran 22 miles straight (upset about a lot of things)--This morning I was also upset about a lot of things, and sometimes you just feel like running. It's a very refreshing thing to run before the sun comes up, to see the sun come up, and to keep running after the sun comes up. I ran 23 miles. Jared, this means you had better have a perfect score on the MCAT plus a bonus point. It really wasn't all that bad, I rather enjoyed it. Especially at first. I felt so relaxed and like an engine stroking...gas efficient....like 39 miles to the gallon or something like that...but about mile 13 I started to feel a little tired...seven miles later I was hitting "the wall" that most people hit in marathons...20 miles. Not only was I hitting it, I was hitting about the same time I had to run up a long incline on Holmes avenue. I thought "just another step" the whole way up that hill, and it just kept going. Poor Jared slaving over an MCAT, having brain cramps and bloating/constipation from stress...me, feeling like a car that's been driven well over 200,000 miles...no air conditioner, balding tires....---I hit the wall. I pushed through for another three miles (basically because I had to...I'd come to far to not hit a PR on distance). I hurt and strove...in the rain, then in the humidity...I just wanted to do something to show that I understood the effort Jared has put into this test. I wanted to run a Marathon...I wouldn't have made it. My ass is out of shape. I am amazed I made it 23 miles. My wheels were falling off. When I was done, I couldn't feel my teeth, and I seeing spots. The blood was leaving my head...I was passing out.

I didn't tell everyone initially about the passing out part. I've told many people today about my running excursion...but I omitted the actuality of the passing out. I was in the shower...I don't know how long I was in there...but it wasn't terribly long...a few minutes....but I don't remember them. I woke up on the floor. The water running on my face. I should have eaten before I did anything else...I didn't really think I was going to pass out. I just remember my legs feeling weak, the next thing I know it's a few minutes later.

I got out and made breakfast. Then went to bed.

A few lessons I learned from today's run:
1. Even when you're out of shape you can still run a long way.
2. If you're going to run 23 miles, even if you're an experienced runner...build up to it before you just go out and do it.
3. Sleep before you attempt it.
4. Make sure your shoes are good enough to run on that far (my feet were killing me by the end).
5. Tell someone you're going..and where you're going (I told the front desk I was going to be gone for a very long time, but I didn't say where I was going to...I should have).
6. If your friend is taking an MCAT, support is best served through thoughts and prayers, not dedicating yourself to running into oblivion...
7. Nick's mom really does work on Clinton avenue.


Anyway guys, don't worry about the passing out thing. I'm fine. I was fine. I just picked the wrong time to run, under the wrong circumstances. But I felt like it was a personal quest to support Jared, and I feel that by running the most I've ever run at one time, I did.

Jared, I'm very proud of you and all the accomplishments you've accumulated over the years. Here's to your PERFECT SCORE.

2 Comments:

Blogger me said...

man! you complain a lot...whiner..hope your summer is going well...I get to be in Boston today!! ohhh im better than you..lol luv ya matttttt

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! You and "out of shape" don't go together, I don't know what you are talking about!!! You stud you!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home